When time is of the essence, a quick skillet dinner fits the bill in our house.
This particular recipe is one that I keep coming back to; it’s easy, effortless and ready in under 30 minutes.
It’s a mix of ground chicken sautéed with onions, garlic, and a dash of homemade Mexican spice blend from my cookbook.
Plump cherry tomatoes are thrown in towards the end, which melt into the skillet creating a juicy and flavorful sauce. Black beans and fragrant chopped parsley finish the dish.
Use my ingredients as a guide, but choose whatever ingredients you have on hand. Zucchini, bell pepper, corn and scallions would be great additions. For a fun vegetarian version, try swapping out the chicken for meaty portobellos mushrooms, or a mix of interesting field mushrooms. Even two types of beans would be nice…
This was served with leftover cauliflower rice (which adds additional time to the recipe if cooking fresh) but quick-cooking Jasmine rice would work too. The filling is excellent for burritos with Greek yogurt, avocado and sharp cheddar cheese, too!
See the possibilities?
I should also mention that this recipe is naturally gluten free, grain free and paleo friendly (minus the beans).
What are you cooking lately that’s fast, fresh and easy?
• • • • • • • • •
Tips: I do not specify an amount for the Mexican spice blend. Spice blends vary in taste from garlicky, salty, to spicy. The recipe in my book is very flavorful but not overkill. Whatever blend you use, I suggest using a little bit at a time, to taste, until the dish is seasoned to your liking.
Substitutions: You can go crazy here. As mentioned above, use whatever ingredients you have on hand but don’t overcrowd the pan. The idea is to keep it easy on yourself. Plus, too many ingredients will make the dish watery, and nobody likes watery Mexican skillets.
Make-Ahead: This can be made 1 day in advance. Reheat gently in a non-stick skillet or in a pan with a touch of olive oil. Add additional herbs to brighten the flavor.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced into ½-inch pieces (red or yellow)
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1¼ lbs ground chicken or turkey, mix of white and dark meat for best flavor
- Mexican spice blend (from my cookbook) or an all-natural taco seasoning of your choice, to taste
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked black beans, (approximately ½ can, rinsed & drained)
- ¼ c. chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- In a large 10-inch skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Sprinkle with Mexican spice blend and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and continue to sauté until the tomatoes begin to burst and the chicken is cooked through. Taste, and season with additional spice blend to your liking.
- Add the black beans and parsley. Stir gently to warm through.
- When ready to eat, serve warm straight from the skillet with cauliflower rice or Jasmine rice, if using.