Adapted from Artisan Sourdough Made Simple, these crispy, perfectly light cinnamon sugar sourdough waffles are the ultimate, homemade breakfast treat!
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 tsp (3g) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (120g) leftover sourdough starter (see note below)
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk, whole, 2%, or plant milk of your choice, plus more as needed to thin out the batter
- 3 tbsp (42g) unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (120g all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (12 g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Cooking spray, for coating
- 1 cup (165g) cubed pineapple
- Handful of mixed seasonal berries
- 1/4 cup (30g) coconut flakes, optional
- Pure maple syrup, to serve
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add the leftover sourdough starter, milk, 2 tbsp (28g) of melted butter, and egg into a large bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and continue to whisk until smooth. If the batter seems too thick, add more milk as needed to thin out the texture. *Note: The amount of milk needed will depend on the consistency of your sourdough starter.
- Lightly coat the waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle some of the batter into the pan (don’t overfill; if will be a huge mess!). Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a cutting board and brush lightly with some of the remaining melted butter.
- Press the waffle into the cinnamon sugar to coat on both sides. Repeat to cook the rest of the waffles.
- To serve, top your waffles with the fresh fruit of your choice and coconut flakes, if using. Enjoy with sweet maple syrup on the side!
For best results, use a 100% hydration starter fed with equal parts flour and water by weight. Its batter-like texture is the perfect match for these sourdough waffles. If you’re using a thicker, low hydration starter you might have to adjust the overall liquid in this recipe.
Keywords: sourdough waffles, sourdough recipes, sourdough, waffles, sourdough waffle recipe