For the Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved, leaves reserved
- 4 oz pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used 2 oz hard salami)
- 2 tbsp– 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp reduced balsamic syrup, or make your own (see note below)
Homemade Balsamic Syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the sprouts and the reserved leaves to the sheet pan. Add the pancetta (or salami). Coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally for even browning.
- Towards the end of cooking, prepare the balsamic syrup. Pour the vinegar into a small sauté pan and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce the mixture over medium-low heat; it will only take 1-2 minutes. Keep your eye on it so it doesn’t burn! You should end up with 1 tbsp of reduced syrup.
- When the sprouts are ready, drizzle the hot balsamic syrup directly over the pan. Toss well to combine.
- Serve right away.