Because this is what you need after vacation. A little pick-me-up, if you will…
Gluttonous over indulgence last week has left me feeling like a giant cow. There’s no other way to put it. Midnight grill sessions and picking at chicken fingers is a thing of the past (you know I’m nibbling on a slice of cheesecake as I write this…). But in all seriousness, a dose of superfood goodness is in order. My body needs it.
I mixed-up this cleansing mocktail inspired by Mr. Wolfie.
Mr. Wolfie is our neighbor, and he is an avid gardener. He brings us beautiful, homegrown strawberries and planted the boys their very own pumpkin patch to harvest in the fall. Such a nice guy. Recently, we received several cucumbers on our doorstep. We ate some and juiced the rest. I don’t have a proper juicer, but my Vitamix worked out just fine for this particular combination.
To the blender, I threw in some peeled cucumbers and chunks of juicy, sweet watermelon. I always knew that watermelon was good for you, but I never knew that it was a superfood. It’s packed with all kinds of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Ginger was also added for an energizing boost. I quickly strained the juice to remove any seeds, and finished it off with lemon and sparkling water. I felt like I was at the spa…
I also made a new discovery; cucumber melon seltzer. Have you tried this yet? It is a limited edition summer flavor, made by Polar. I’m not one to rave about club soda, but it’s so crisp and refreshing, it’s the only thing that I want to drink. Considering that I could benefit from drinking more water anyway, it is a good motivator. Bottoms up!
How do you re-charge after a little over indulgence?
- To benefit from the nutrients of fresh juice, drink this refresher right away! However, the flavor will intensify when chilled in the fridge for about an hour.
- 1 c. English cucumber, peeled
- 4 c. cubed watermelon, seeded
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled + thinly sliced
- 2 lemons
- sparkling water or club soda (I used cucumber melon)*
- fresh mint
- extra cucumber slices for garnish
* Substitute with lemon, lime or another all-natural flavored club soda of your choice
** To benefit from the nutrients of fresh juice, drink this refresher right away! However, the flavor will intensify when chilled in the fridge for about an hour.
- Add the cucumber, watermelon, and ginger to a blender. Process until smooth, and the ginger is broken up.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon, plus more to taste; you want a nice balance of tart and sweet.
- Strain to remove any seeds and pieces of ginger.
- Pour the juice about 2/3’s full in glasses over ice.
- Top with sparkling water.
- Garnish with fresh mint and cucumber slices.
- Serve chilled.